Chocolatey Release Notes - Chocolatey Agent Service
This covers the release notes for the Chocolatey Agent Service (
chocolatey-agent) package, which covers Self-Service and Central Management client functionality. For more information, installation options, etc, please refer to Chocolatey Agent Service.
This package is available to Chocolatey for Business (C4B) customers only.
Other Release Notes
- Refer to Open Source Release Notes as commercial editions build on top of open source.
- Chocolatey for Business (C4B) customers - also refer to Chocolatey Licensed Extension Release Notes and Chocolatey Central Management Release Notes.
- Please see https://github.com/chocolatey/chocolatey-licensed-issues/labels/AgentService
- Some issues may be held internally, please follow your support routes to learn more.
0.12.1 (September 14, 2021)
- [Security] - Deployments - Sensitive arguments are included in log file when advanced deployments are executed via Chocolatey Central Management - see licensed #255
0.12.0 (September 2, 2021)
The dependencies of the chocolatey-agent package have changed in this release, and it now requires chocolatey.extension v2.2.0.
- Central Management
- Fix - Second and subsequent deployments to an agent with PowerShell v4 come back inconclusive (possibly earlier PowerShell versions as well) - see licensed #237
- Fix - Deployments - Log does not contain all information under error circumstances
- [Security] XML External Entity attack in log4net (CVE-2018-1285) - see licensed #253
0.11.2 (November 5, 2020)
- Fix - Deployments - An execution timeout in seconds value of
0for a deployment step is not treated as infinite
- Provide clarity in log messages when salt additive configuration values are misconfigured
0.11.1 (October 5, 2020)
- Fix - CCM - Prevent incorrect exit code of -1 from successful PowerShell script deployment when no exit code is explicitly supplied by the script
0.11.0 (June 25, 2020)
- Chocolatey Agent v0.11.0 will only work with Central Management v0.3.0+. Upgrade order doesn't matter as you'll need to be on CCM v0.3.0 and Agent v0.11.0 before things start working again. See https://docs.chocolatey.org/en-us/central-management/#ccm-component-compatibility-matrix.
- Fix - CCM - passphrases do not match on check-in (report_computer_information) - see Licensed #152
- Fix - CCM Deployments - Deployments agent exit code of -1 reports successful deployment - see Licensed #153
0.10.0 (June 18, 2020)
- Chocolatey Agent v0.10.0 will only work with Central Management v0.2.0+. Please upgrade Central Management first if you are using CCM with the agent service.
Log locations have changed. Please see Log File for Chocolatey Agent for more information.
- Execution for Central Management Deployments
- Fix - Monitoring chocolatey.config for changes could potentially lock the file from being written to by choco
- Fix - Logging - the service stops responding to calls and stops logging after choco configuration file is edited
- Fix - CCM Reporting - Do not report unfound packages as outdated
- Logging - Log to the root logs folder of Chocolatey Installation
0.9.3 (March 26, 2020)
- Central Management Reporting:
- Fix - Ensure best available TLS is used - see Licensed #132
0.9.2 (January 30, 2020)
- When reporting into CCM, add the URL that is being used in log to aid when debugging issues
0.9.1 (April 30, 2019)
- Self-Service / Background Mode:
- Fix - Multiple quoted options being parsed incorrectly - see Licensed #78
0.9.0 (March 18, 2019)
- Central Management Reporting - Clients can now report into central management on a configurable basis. For more information, please see https://docs.chocolatey.org/en-us/features/chocolatey-central-management
- Self-Service / Background Mode:
0.8.1 (September 28, 2017)
- Fix - bump dependency on Chocolatey Licensed Extension to ensure user is created with complex password instead of created with no password and then updated with complex password.
0.8.0 (September 27, 2017)
- [Security] Use 'ChocolateyLocalAdmin' user and manage the user by default - using LocalSystem doesn't work well with all software installations. Using a local user that is an admin works much better for ensuring applications are installed. If you need the previous functionality, pass
/UseDefaultChocolateyConfigUser. This will use whatever Chocolatey is configured to use by default for new service installations. You can also pass in a username and optionally a password for a domain account or local administrator account.
- Upgrade - Pass
/NoRestartServiceto upgrade the service without shutting down the current running service. You will need to restart the service to take advantage of the new changes - see #26.
- Install/Upgrade - Pick username/password for runtime. Pass
/Username:value /Password:value2through package parameters.
- Install/Upgrade - Pass
/EnterPasswordthrough package parameters to have Chocolatey ask for the user password at runtime during installation. Captures as a secure string.
0.7.0 (June 27, 2017)
- Fix - Use a URI with WCF named pipes that doesn't exclusively hold a lock on the root (blocking other services) - see #12.
- Fix - Allow chocolatey.lib (not just calls from choco.exe) to run self-service.
0.6.0 (March 20, 2017)
- Sources must be opted in for self-service if the feature
UseBackgroundServiceWithSelfServiceSourcesOnlyis turned on. This is automatically the case with Chocolatey Licensed v1.10.0+ (and Chocolatey 0.10.4+).
- Fix - Sources using nupkg/nuspec were being allowed. This is now disabled as well.
0.5.0 (January 14, 2017)
- New pattern for dependencies requires a reload of the interface that works between the Agent and Chocolatey.Extension, requiring a bump in the sub v1.
0.4.0 (January 4, 2017)
- Streams logging messages back to the caller in realtime
- Audits disallowed calls / attempted abuses of the service
- Only runs Chocolatey functions
- Ensures installation from approved sources only
- Receives and passes user context to Chocolatey functions.
- Works exclusively with Chocolatey for Business - checks passcode prior to running command
- Processes one command at a time with locking algorithm